The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Lexile level AD460L

The Very Hungry Caterpillar - Eric Carle

The Very Hungry Caterpillar, by Eric Carle, is a classic children's story that is used in many classrooms. The story follows the transformation of how a caterpillar transforms into a butterfly. It grasps childrens' attention with it's wonderful use of colors, art, and interesting story. This book is usually intended for Kindergarten, but I would use it up to first grade. The reading level for this book is also considered Kindergarten and first grade. This book can be used to incorporate many different lessons into your classroom. You can use it to go over different colors, counting, how a caterpillar becomes a butterfly, teaching the days of the week, and you can even use it to teach a lesson about what happens if you overeat. There are also many different activities you can purchase to go with the book. Books-a-Million has a whole section just for The Very Hungry Caterpillar, and it has activities, stuffed animals, puppets, and even kits that have different activities you can do. This would be a great book to bring out in the beginning of the year to go over lessons, or you can even spend a few days on it and use it for multiple lessons. Personally, I love this book, and if I get the opportunity to teach kindergarten or first grade, I will be using this book in my lessons.